Dementia: What You Need to
Make Person Centered Care Real
Debbie Richman with the Minnesota-North Dakota Alzheimer’s Association was our guest today. She has a great background and a wonderful attitude on how to live well with dementia, not as the disease. I heard Debbie speak for the first time about two months ago and was so impressed with her insights and ability to communicate simple techniques which bring respect, dignity and a sense of calm when dealing with Dementia I just had to have her on the show.
Here are just some of things we will be discussing:
1. What needs to happen for care to be truly “person centered”?
2. What are the barriers to person centered care?
3. What can family/friends do to facilitate a more person centered environment for their loved ones?
4. How does a person centered focus help to improve communication and lessen challenging behaviors?
5. How do I engage or assist others to engage the person with dementia?
To Listen to the show click on the triangle in the
round circle in the graphic below